Answers to this data sheet may be discovered during a field trip to the Ice Caves and Bandera Volcano, in the Ice Caves Trail Guide, in the Land of Fire and Ice video, and on the Ice Caves Web site. This data sheet is provided to teachers as a means of guiding students discovery during the field trip experience. It may be printed out and filled in during the field trip, or used in discussion prior to the field trip. Feel free to modify to suit your teaching needs. An answer key is available to teachers upon arrival, by regular mail, or e-mail upon request.
2. Bandera Volcano is called a cinder cone? How does a volcano like Bandera form?
3. What were the two stages in the eruption of Bandera Volcano?
4. Do you know the depth, width, and elevation of Bandera Volcano?
8. See a portion of lava tube at right. The length of the Bandera lava tube, considered to be one of the longest in North America, is about ?
10. The lava flow is called El Malpais in Spanish. What does El Malpais mean?
11. The Ice Cave, located in a portion of the collapsed lava tube, remains frozen all year.This means that the temperature never goes above?
12. One of the reasons the ice in the cave remains frozen is that the lava acts as an?
13. Another reason the ice remains frozen has to do with air flow. See below. Violet is warmer air, light blue is cooler air. How could the air flow into the cave vary from winter to summer?
15. See at left, scientists coring the ice floor. The depth of the ice floor is about? The ice wall was probably caused by? Removal of ice from the Ice Cave was stopped in 1946. What has been happening to the floor ever since?
16. What two forms of plant life thrive near the entrance of the the cave? The green tint of the ice is caused by an? Why are these plants so unusual to the Southwest? See below.
17. The Ice Cave was known to the Pueblo Indians as the? The ancient Indians who used the cave were the?
18. The ruins, pottery, and artifacts found near the Ice Cave date the ancient Indian use of the area to about? See above.
19. The Ice Cave area is rich in flora. Can you identify the 6 major trees found along the trails?
20. One of the oldest trees in the lava is a? The age of this tree is? How old do some of the other trees of the area live to be?
21. The Ice Cave area is also rich in wildlife. List below the animals you see during your field trip.
Click here to Print Out Text Only.